On Thu, 1 Jun 2023, Robert L Mathews via mailop wrote:

Maybe other people have noticed and discussed this and I'm just behind the times, but for more than a decade, Google specifically said:

"Avoid changing the envelope sender when forwarding email to Gmail."

You're kind of proving the point with the archive.org link -- but you're not behind the times per se, the problem was the system behavior changed without the documentation changing.

(The other issue is that one of the common 5xx texts in this scenario references "PTR records," as Jarland's thread last month discussed -- which sadly gets you looking in the wrong direction.)

Nice to see docs that match reality, and it's also interesting to see the hat tip toward ARC for forwarding...

(You can see this as recently as last November at <https://web.archive.org/web/20221127015217/https://support.google.com/mail/answer/175365>.)

Because of that, we didn't do it. But I noticed that the current page at <https://support.google.com/mail/answer/175365> now says the exact opposite:

"Change the envelope sender to reference your forwarding domain."

So I guess it's time to add SRS rewriting for Gmail addresses...!

--
Robert L Mathews