On Mon, 31 Jul 2023, Mike Hillyer via mailop wrote:
From: mailop <mailop-boun...@mailop.org> On Behalf Of Taavi Eomäe via mailop

Does anyone here have any familiarity with antivirus/anti-phish
vendors that can or are meant to be used with email?

I've checked the rspamd external services page
(https://rspamd.com/doc/modules/external_services.html#icap-protocol-specific-details)
and it has a nice list, but no other details.

Has anyone here tested some of those out? What's the reaction speed
against new malware campaigns? Does it also work against (some)
phish? Most importantly, are there any that are not priced
per-mailbox? Any warnings or comments would be very appreciated.

Best price you’re going to get is ClamAV, being that it’s Open Source.
Mike

I have heard (from someone with skin in the game) that open source AV
tools don't get much coverage in head-to-head magazine reviews, since
they don't buy adverts in the magazines.

Several regular contributors on the ClamAV mailing list appear to use
extra signature lists when scanning email with clamav, though some of
these are spam signatures rather than malware.

I haven't come across an AV that, under normal circumstances, updates
their signatures more than once per day (in special cases I have seen
ClamAV and others make extra releases).

No AV will catch everything. Not just day-zeros, each AV has malware
that even years later they don't detect.
https://www.virustotal.com is a good place to play if you want to see
how dozens of AV products get on with any particular virus

Use AV products by all means, but don't assume they will catch everything.
Do have plans for if/when you find something; both before and after it
causes harm.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison                      Kendal, UK
                   and...@aitchison.me.uk