On 9/19/23 09:42, Bill Cole via mailop wrote:
Removing brackets on addresses without display names is one of the things that Sendmail (in some common configurations...) does.

A similar form of damage I just noticed today was an outsourced-to-Microsoft mail service breaking a forwarded message's DKIM signature when it rewrote:

From:  <addr...@example.com>

From: <addr...@example.com>

(in case it's too hard to spot, changing two spaces to one between the ":" and the "<")

This change breaks the original sender's c=simple/simple DKIM signature. Put the missing spaces back and it verifies again. Figured it out because I received similar messages both directly and forwarded through MS and could compare the headers.

If anyone from Microsoft wants more details, contact me off-list.

                                        - Bill