On Sat, 11 Nov 2023, Carsten Schiefner via mailop wrote:

Hi Andrew,

Am 11.11.2023 um 14:25 schrieb Andrew C Aitchison via mailop
<mailop@mailop.org>:

[…]

I guess we need to look at ClientID
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-storey-smtp-client-id/ (SMTP)
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-yu-imap-client-id/ (IMAP)

to see whether either or both could help us identify the incoming
client sessions ?

thanks - that’s interesting.

Would you happen to know of any prototype implementation
of either one of these two drafts?

mail...@ietf.org is the place for discussion of these drafts,
though it is a very quiet list.

I have been told (Feb 2023)
For a library, you can use libetpan..

For email clients, Thunderbird, emClient, and BlueMail, however the
later is going through more testing for it's autodiscovery mechanisms.

LibEtPan! is in github and ubuntu.
AIUI you may still have to fiddle with the Thunderbird config to use ClientID, put it is included in

I believe LinuxMagic (Michael Peddemors can confirm or deny) have a server-side implememntation whose customers have a large US user base.

I am working on adding draft-storey-smtp-client-id support to Exim,
but I don't know whether I will be able to do the web/user management bits to make it practical, as I have no user-base or experience in that area.
Collaborators would be welcome.

and OAuthBearer RFC7628

That is probably not the best reference to OAuthBearer, but on reflection there are too many OAuth RFCs and they are too long for me to bw able to recommend any particulr starting point.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison                      Kendal, UK
                   and...@aitchison.me.uk