Hello,

I believe you can enumerate cloudflare IPs via :

https://www.cloudflare.com/ips-v4
https://www.cloudflare.com/ips-v6

It's likely an overfit situation (not just resolvers), but it's something.

-tony

On 12/2/23 21:57, Arne Jensen via mailop wrote:
Always happy to help! And wauh, times flies by these days...

First of all - I completely agree with you, that several things could be better here ;-).

Taking the four major ones, the top list, from best to worst, might be like:

1. OpenDNS
2. Google
3. Quad 9/PCH
4. Cloudflare

Given your mention of "internal documentation", maybe there could be something more for you to document, if you haven't already:

Google does, as mentioned previously, document their resolver infrastructure on the Web, contrary to many others, but also with a JSON:

-> API/JSON: https://www.gstatic.com/ipranges/publicdns.json

OpenDNS is also documenting theirs, and also have PTR on the outgoing resolver IP, but unfortunately, the PTR **doesn't always** point to one of their OpenDNS.* domain names, which could be confusing:

Reaching OpenDNS Copenhagen:
- 146.112.135.70 (r7.compute.cph1.edc.strln.net)
- 2a04:e4c0:17::73 (r10.compute.cph1.edc.strln.net)

Reaching OpenDNS London:
- 208.69.34.73 (m53.lon.opendns.com)
- 2a04:e4c0:10::91 (r3.compute.lon1.edc.strln.net)

It is however consistent with their locations as retrieved from here:

-> Web: https://www.opendns.com/data-center-locations/
-> JSON: https://umbrella-dns-requests.marketops.umbrella.com/api/data-center-locations

Currently, it seems very much a hit and miss, mostly miss, when reaching any IP address with PTR records, through Quad 9. I haven't ever seen Quad 9 document it like OpenDNS or Google.

With Cloudflare, I've never see any of their outbound resolver IP addresses have any PTR records. I haven't ever seen Cloudflare document it like OpenDNS or Google.

With the above possible ways to retrieve the OpenDNS and Google data, you have the option to automate e.g. a weekly update of their resolver addresses, if you feel for something like that in any way. ;)