Indeed, you are correct -- according to section 3.2.3 in RFC 5322,
the at ("@") symbol counts as a "special" character that's
categorized seprarately from "atext," and an example in Appendix A
demonstrates quoting when a special character is present:

                RFC 5322 :: Internet Message Format
                https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc5322#section-3.2.3

        Thanks for pointing out my PEBCAK* error -- I somehow got the eMail
address included in the atext Atom of the "From:" field. :D

        Sorry about that.

* PEBCAK:  Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard

> Hi,
>
> recently i see messages from this ML rejected by my MTA, due
> malformed To: header (from postmas...@inter-corporate.com):
>
>     To: mailop@mailop.org <mailop@mailop.org>
>
> AFAIK, the display name have to be quoted (@ char in it), thus
> my MTA is right, but...
>
> Please, am i too strict with this syntax check or this ML is too
> lax in that (or both)?
>
> regards
>
> --
> Slavko