Hey all,

> I might have missed something, but wouldn't that be a phisher's wet dream?

It depends on the implementation really. A lot of parallels can be drawn to
things email clients and other platforms have been doing for years. Email
clients have already been using Gravatar, and on almost every social media
platform or forum you can set your own name and avatar. It's not much different.

> I don't think that the regular user will check if the little extra lock is
> there on the icon. They'll see a version of the paypal logo on the phish and
> have an extra feeling of safety.

Maybe, maybe not. I feel about 70% of all commercial emails in my client have
logos. It's essentially same as the sender name being "PayPal". There's really
no implicit extra trust about there being a logo in this context.

> how the user is supposed to distinguish which avatars are verified BIMI logos,
> and which ones come from a totally different source?

An indicator. It's probably not as effective as only ever showing BIMI verified,
but it's been standard on other platforms for a while now. It's not the solution
to all problems, but it does seem like a design pattern that users will
recognize. I have not done any user research into this though, this is just my
thought process at the moment.

> Otherwise, the non-BIMI avatars displayed along the messages, mixed with BIMI
> ones, will just facilitate phishing instead of making it more difficult

I'm honestly not sure whether that was a great promise to begin with. It's an
attractive one, for sure. BIMI being mixed with other avatars was always a thing
that would probably happen. Gravatar is already widely used, and Gmail shows
avatars for other google users (as far as I know).

I've implemented it this way into my client because I liked being able to more
visually differentiate emails, and reduce the mental load of having to scan
text. It initially had absolutely nothing to do with BIMI, in fact I added BIMI
after I added the other sources. But in my case BIMI can still add security
through the verification indicator, which I will be adding. I've hidden avatars
for messages in the junk folder as well, as a precaution.

Anecdotally, none of the mass phishing emails I've received have had the correct
logo associated. It's usually compromised credentials without access to the
domain, and they don't seem to go through the effort of setting up Gravatar. Of
course this really means nothing for targeted attacks by actually competent
phishers, but I thought it was fun to see. It's something I wondered about when
I started adding the avatars.

Groetjes,
Louis