Hi,

On Mon, Feb 12, 2024 at 02:44:43PM +0100, Sebastian Nielsen via mailop wrote:
> >> it basically makes it impossible to respond to the original email sender
>
> Nope, you just open the encapsulated email (open the .EML attachment), and
> respond to that.

Going back to my anecdote that last month a poster to the North
American Network Operators Group mailing list complained about the
changing of subject lines "messing up" message grouping in gmail, as
if Gmail's UI was the optimal/only way for email threads to be
presented: also in the last couple of months someone on the UK
Network Operators Forum mailing list complained that "DMARC messes
up the format of list email".

What I eventually established was that they were referring to this
Mailman DMARC mitigation setting of encapsulating a post inside a
post from the list server, when the sender has a DMARC policy of
reject etc.

I do not recall which of the major mailbox providers they were
using for it to look "messed up" but again the issue here is that
even some of the most technically adept users on the Internet today
are not using email software that copes well with that. There is a
big gap in the user experience and user training that I'm not sure
any entity has the will and ability to plug.

Myself, I appreciate the encapsulation option for the reasons you
state. I understand what's going on and my mail software copes with
it¹. But I don't find it usable in general at this time.

Thanks,
Andy

¹ Though I do use "notmuch" quite extensively and haven't yet found
  a good way to have it index such emails: from notmuch's point of
  view it only records the header keywords of the outer email
  container, with the inner [arts only being matchable by body text
  search. In simple words:

  $ notmuch search 'from:joe.blo...@example.com'

  will not match list mail from joe.blo...@example.com that's been
  encapsulated in such a fashion.