Hi,

I sometimes get this response:

   421-4.7.30 This mail has been rate limited because DKIM does not pass. Gmail
   421-4.7.30 requires all large senders to authenticate with DKIM.
   421-4.7.30
   421-4.7.30 Authentication results:
   421-4.7.30 DKIM = did not pass
   421-4.7.30 For instructions on setting up DKIM authentication, go to
   421-4.7.30 https://support.google.com/a/answer/180504
   421-4.7.30 To learn more about Gmail's sender policy, go to
   421 4.7.30 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126. (token) - gsmtp

It was a forwarded message, so it might happen something went wrong, albeit I try and avoid applying changes on forwarded messages. (Besides, I'm no large sender.)

Since I implemented ARC, I don't add a DKIM signature to forwarded messages any more, and apply an ARC set instead. Unfortunately, I get no feedback about that, as ARC is missing a reporting part. I guess Google does verify ARC.

I know that any DKIM or ARC signature has no DMARC relevance on forwarded messages, where d= doesn't match the From: domain. However, the above response doesn't mention DMARC, so I wonder whether that message would have passed if I had put DKIM instead or ARC.

The last URL in the response says something about ARC:

    ARC checks the previous authentication status of forwarded messages.
    If a forwarded message passes SPF or DKIM authentication, but ARC
    shows it previously failed authentication, Gmail treats the message as
    unauthenticated.

Isn't it overkill to put both DKIM /and/ ARC if you know the receiver implements both?

Best
Ale