On Thu 02/May/2024 21:02:28 +0200 John Levine via mailop wrote:
While debugging something else, I've been trying to send messages to myself
from the address a...@m.jl.ly.  RFC 5321 says two dots in a row need to be
quoted, and I have checked that my mail system does indeed put in the quotes
and it says

MAIL FROM:<"a..b"@m.jl.ly>

Useless to recall the famous sentence of RFC 5321, where it defines the address syntax (Section 4.1.2):

   While the above definition for Local-part is relatively permissive,
   for maximum interoperability, a host that expects to receive mail
   SHOULD avoid defining mailboxes where the Local-part requires (or
   uses) the Quoted-string form or where the Local-part is case-
   sensitive.

Best
Ale