RFC 3030 which provides for the BDAT command and BINARYMIME which treats
the message not as text at all
and so I wouldn't expect that that text limit would apply, though the RFC
doesn't discuss any limits.

In general, I don't see much utility in limiting the length of lines in the
body of messages in the modern
age.  Headers and command/responses, sure.

I assume people implemented to the Postel idea, and maybe even corrected
messages when forwarding...
but such corrections break dkim signatures now, which caused us to
reevaluate message "corrections"
when comparing the options of "being rejected/marked as spam" vs "rejected
for message formatting violations".

I think this is a general problem with text based protocols, people think
they're easy and can be done by hand,
and then things get complicated but you still deal with people doing
/bin/sendmail foo < file or whatever without
actually using libraries to properly compose messages... and so that works
until it doesn't.

It turns out people just want to get their mail, they don't want to be
proper email/smtp formating pedantics.

Brandon