On Fri, 2024-06-21 at 01:01 +0000, Ferris, Rhys (SCC) via mailop
wrote:

> I guess my mentality is a large IPTables is still less of a load
> than letting them establish a connection and attempt to
> authenticate, but I'm certainly open to better ideas.

Somewhat OT, but if you can switch to nftables, loading a very large
set (100K+ entries) takes like a second and it's O(1) to test
against.

You can also use ipset with iptables to similar effect, although

You can modify things like fail2ban or ossec to update the sets
instead of creating new rules, too.