On 06/08/13 11:03, Peter FELECAN wrote:

This reasonable and doable, However, from my standpoint, it is outside
the scope of OpenCSW.

BTW, can somebody explain what hinders the adoption of Solaris 10 in a
private or an enterprise environment after 8 years of availability.

Don't ask /me/, I have nfc. But it's a fact.

The only case I know from direct experience is in a manufacturing unit
where a multi million euro machine tool is controlled by a Solaris 2.5.1
running system and the supplier ask an equivalent amount to update the
controller by replacing it with an unit running an old version of
Microsoft Windows (what a deal). There is even worse, in a similar
environment there is a SunOS 4.3 controller unit. Now, should we support
all this? The only software stack that they are using is specific to
that machine tool. They don't need the last shiny Python interpreter or
a 64 bit Guile library.

Well, if somebody wants to do it as a paid job, and OpenCSW can provide an existing infrastructure that helps doing it, and OpenCSW benefits for it, then why not?

What bothers me is that all this energy is wasted instead of spending it
on other venues, such as Solaris 11 native support, documentation, web
site, &c.

The point is exactly that it should not be wasted. Paid-for work is productive. It'd be wasted if it were done for free. The thing is making sure that's it's worth it for OpenCSW.

S11, well, I think it'll be discussed in Berlin.

Laurent