Gentlemen,

I stand corrected.  I did a simple test from a Dos shell I it does work.

I have also determined that it doesn't work from the Eclipse plug-in that was built in-house at my company.  This was why I reported it.  Now I get to report it to our tools group instead.

Thanks for you time and effort and sorry for not verifying this from the Dos shell first.

Kent.

Kent A. Crockett
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(319) 295-3387 (onsite)
(319) 294-8144x16 (offsite)

Eli Zaretskii <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

11/03/2006 09:47 AM

Please respond to
Eli Zaretskii <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc
make-w32@gnu.org
Subject
Re: Variable assignments from shell commands

> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 08:45:02 -0600
>
> According to section 8.11 of the gnu manual, I should be able to use the
> shell command to assign a variable.  However, this doesn't work.

It does for me.

> I've tried assigning the variable from outside a rule but the command does
> not get executed and the variable is empty.  The only time the shell
> command is executed is from within a rule but variable assignments within
> rule is not allowed.
>
>      contents := $(shell cat foo)

Please show the shortest self-contained Makefile that can be used to
reproduce the problem, and please tell what port of which version of
Make do you have installed.  The $shell function works for me in Make
3.81 compiled with MinGW port of GCC.