> Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 17:01:45 -0500
> From: Chris Sutcliffe <ir0nh...@gmail.com>
>
> How do I go about specifying how to link with libiconv?  By default
> configure is looking for libiconv.a, but I'd like to link to
> libiconv.dll.a (the shared library for MinGW).

This is not really a Make question, it's a Binutils question.

If you have libiconv.dll.a somewhere where ld will look, then just
using -liconv in the link command line should DTRT.  Since ld looks
for libiconv.dll.a _before_ libiconv.a, the presence of the latter
shouldn't matter.

See the node WIN32 in the ld Info manual, where you will find more
details about this.

> I've tried setting the LIBICONV environment variable prior to
> running configure but it seems to be ignored.

Something like "LDFLAGS=-liconv ./configure" should do the trick, I
think.