On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 9:10 PM, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:

> You are welcome to send patches.  But just based on the above example,
> I don't yet see any compelling reason to change anything in the
> current development sources,

I just thought it might be a more lightweight and robust solution for the
other problem I reported earlier (spaces in .bat paths): You are detecting
.bat files already, so instead of doing complicated special treatment  that
relies on undocumented behaviour, it sounds easier to just fall back to
non-short-circuiting path, so cmd.exe will handle that for you.

> cmd.exe itself is inconsistent in its support of forward slashes, and
that even changes between Windows versions).

Right, that's a convincing argument for avoiding forward slashes, which in
turn means that my example is unimportant. Sorry for the noise.

For some reason I was trying to avoid backslashes in makefiles, because I
thought make doesn't like those in dependency lists etc. Apparently that's
just a prejudice; \ seems to work nicely everywhere.