The mention of Haecker's book (which I haven't read either) is a good
reminder that our grandfathers' books are still useful, even if our parents
don't read them anymore. Or to put it another way, good books become
obsolete (if at all) piece by piece, not all at once.

What are some good books (or good chapters) on Virgil that people don't
read anymore but that you  think are still useful? Earlier this week, I was
reading Jackson Knight's Roman Vergil (1944) and learned a great deal from
the chapter on meter and style.