Thank you, Peter Bryant for the excellent advice and the citations.
Although I do already own the Loeb edition of Statius, I enjoyed your
insight and recommendations.  Will rush out and pick up Melville's
splendid translation.  Enjoyed your including excerpts of each work.

Yours etc.,
bodywhomp98
aka Scott F. Pierce

---Peter Bryant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Scott Pierce wrote:
>  >I loved receiving Statius, in Latin no
>  > less!  When I tried to special order the Thebaid from a bookstore a
>  > yr. or so ago, I got a "WHO?"  And it's Statius, not STASHIUS.
>
> Dear Scott,
>
> I know of three English translations of the "Thebaid" of
> Statius,or Stazio, if you prefer Dante's form of the name. To
sweeten an
> otherwise prosaic posting about "Thebaid" translations, I thought it
> would be of interest to all the Mantovani, if I gave a sample of
each of
> these translations.
>
> Firstly here is the Latin again (with a few minor typing errors
> corrected. Mercury is returning from the underworld, where he had
been
> sent to fetch the ghost of Laius, in order to incite Eteocles to war
> with his brother Polynices.
>
>                                               "Interea gelidis Maia satus
> aliger umbris
>                                                iussa gerens magni remeat
> Iovis; undique pigrae
>                                               ire vetant nubes et turbidus
> implicat aer,
>                                                nec zephyri rapuere gradum,
> sed foeda silentis
>                                                aura poli.  Styx inde novem
> circumflua campis,
>                                                hinc obiecta vias torrentum
> incendia cludunt."
>

>                                                                     "Thebaid"
> II.1-6
>

>                                       The first full English translation of
> the "Thebaid", in heroic
> couplets, was made by W[illiam] L[illington] Lewis in 1766.
[Alexander
> Pope had translated the first book into heroic couplets in 1703. This
> was published in 1712.]  I have an edition from 1815, where it
appeared
> in one volume with Francis's Horace and Garth's Ovid.
>

>                                               "Now Hermes, fraught with the
> commands of Jove,
>                                                       With wings expanded
> seeks the realms above:
>                                                       Black mists surround
> him, and impervious night
>                                                       Checks his bold
> progress, and controuls[sic] his flight:
>                                                       No zephyrs waft him
> o'er the realms below,
>                                                       But still and noisome
> gales --- on one side,flow
>                                                       The branching streams
> of Styx in calm repose,
>                                                       On t'other, fiery lakes
> his way oppose."
>

>                               The second is in the Loeb Classical Library,
> published by Harvard
> University Press, and contains the complete works of Statius in Latin
> with a facing English prose translation by J.H.Mozley. My copy was
> published in 1928.It is in two volumes hardback. The first four
books of
> the "Thebaid" are in volume 1, the remainder are in volume 2.
>
> "Meanwhile the winged son of Maia returns from the cold shades,
> fulfilling the errand of great Jove; on every side sluggish clouds
> hinder his way and misty air enfolds him, no Zephyrs wafted his
course,
> but the foul vapours of the silent world. On this side Styx
encircling
> its nine regions, on that a barrier of fiery torrents encloses his
> path."
>
>               The third is the "Thebaid" translated into English"blank verse,
varied
> and enhanced by an occasional rhyming couplet"(p.xlvi) by
A.D.Melville,
> and published in the World's Classics series in 1995 by Oxford
> University Press.(It also has a good up to date introduction by
> D.W.T.Vessey.)This is a paperback and thus would be cheaper than the
> Loeb volumes.
>
>                                                       "Meanwhile from Hell's
> cold shades the winged son
>                                                               Of Maia makes
> his way as mighty Jove
>                                                               Commanded. All
> around the heavy clouds
>                                                               Forbid his
> passage and the murky air
>                                                               Envelops him.
> No zephyr speeds his steps,
>                                                               Only foul
> vapour of the silent world.
>                                                               On this side
> Styx's ninefold circling stream
>                                                        Confines his course.
> On that a barrier
>                                                               Of fiery
> torrents."
>

>                       Apparently there are only four full translations of the
> "Thebaid"
in