Thank you for your comments and observations.  I'd like to respond to
them, but am somewhat at a loss, not having read the poem for over a
year and a half now.  However, I particularly enjoyed your assessment
of the problems presented there.  Especially, about yielding to
heaven, and Aeneas' obvious disappointment with the turn of events, Re
"hapless Dido."  I don't remember the details, of prophecy, that is,
but I wondered why not take her along?  Was it revealed to him that he
must wed another?  (Probably.  Oh, yeah, now I do:  that's why he must
slay that other guy at the end, the rival for his Roman queen.)
I don't remember, but all that comes to mind right now is the Gospel
account of the wedding in cana in galilee, in which St. Matthew
records that Jesus of Nazareth turned water into wine, thereby
performing his first miracle.  The Master's response, however, to the
women who requested him to act, was also uncharacteristic of one
destined to judge and rule over men.
He refused at first, saying, something like, "My time is not yet
come."
  I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion regarding Aeneas' fitness
to judge men, but at that time in the narrative, he may honestly be
questioning destiny, justice, wisdom and the dispensation of
merit-based rewards--what you beautifully referred to the price of
leadership--but I find your remarks about his cynicism and bitterness
fascinating nevertheless.  So far, has he really yet been tested as a
leader?  When I re-read the Aeneid's accounts of the fall of Troy last
time, I wasn't as impressed as much by Aeneas' heroism, excepting the
deliverance of his family--carrying his father to safety--but more by
how the inevitable conquest emphasized Greek atrocities and left the
routed Trojans scampering to save their doomed skins.
  Perhaps it's one of those life lessons he's receiving which never
makes sense in the short term, but whose significance only becomes
clear to us in retrospection, after we've had the opportunity to
arrange the an event or events of a complex life already lived into
its proper context.  I'm blabbing here, I realize, but Aeneas'
seemingly callous desertion of Dido always bothered me.  Her servant,
oddly, took it in stride and kept counseling her Lady to behave a
little more soberly, drop the martyr'd, doom'd lover stuff and live.
The whole tone of that Book in which hero meets girl, woos her, and
dumps her unceremoniously; girl builds pyre and falls-on her sword has
also always tugged at my sense of fair play and justice.  Although
Aeneas comes clean by the Poem's end, that whole episode, and although
superbly crafted, never excuses his dreadful, un-heroic dalliance with
her.  What was he thinking?  Or what was she thinking?  Why does she
let herself fall so hopelessly for a no-win romance?
  Sure, he can just set sail for home, but Dido has no other options,
does she?  Maybe my own cynicism betrays me when I can't help
wondering why she doesn't just chalk the bad affair up to experience
and return to being queen?  Is losing a man really worth falling on
your sword?  Ah, but one could always argue, Aeneas, now he's not just
any man!  And, that's what we miss about the Golden and Silver ages:
honor still meant something to the ancients.
  Perhaps because I'm also reading Odyssey right now my thought is
being influenced by styles of two different poets.  Odysseus gets my
goat by weeping oceans of tears, throughout the poem, longing to
return to Ithaca and his beloved Penelope.  He even remarks about the
folly of even comparing a mortal woman's beauty to a goddess' to
Calypso while still her prisoner.  Sure, he repeatedly argues for the
overwhelming desire for his own wife over any goddess, however
beautiful.  The tug for home may be greater, yet doesn't prevent
Ulysses from taking "delight in love" with his Captor the night before
his departure; nor does he refuse Circe one last fling before sailing
home.  "The man of many wiles..." indeed.  Reminds me of Capt. Kirk.
Sampling every alien woman he can get his hands while romping around
the galaxy.  (Kirk, of course, was divorced.  I know. He doesn't shed
oceans of tears for Iowa, his son, nor his ex-wife.)
  But I digressed.  You may be right if Aeneas betrays his inner
turmoil and bitterness.  I have often reacted bitterly to Polinaurus'
fate, denied entrance to Hades simply because he fell asleep at the
wheel and plunged overboard.  Unburied properly, he cannot join the
dead.
"your naked body shall lie unburied on some foreign shore."
  Perhaps again, pious Aeneas voices his anger at the seemingly
arbitrary, fickle and often downright unfair behaviour of the gods,
who seem to delight in dishing out capricious deeds on defenseless
mortals.  Could his sense of justice be taking shape here, as the
Games test his leadership one more time?  Even if he fails again, as
he recently did in Carthage, Aeneas' trials are tempering him.
Mustn't a hero evolve before his final showdown with destiny?  I don't
know what I'm getting at here, but if Aeneas does betray feelings here
in Sicily, at least he's betraying a sense of conscience on some
level.  By calling attention to his frailties as judge during the
games, you encourage me to let him off the hook for betraying Dido
which before I read your comments, seemed wholly devoid of any
feeling.  He seemed more to be an instrument in the gods hands when
that storm came up, and forced the lovers into the cave, and wholly
wanting of any sense of responsibility for his actions.
Anyway, in the future, I have to review the poem and present such
disjointed thoughts in a more orderly manner.  I get off of subjects
too easily.  Even now, I'm reminded of how humorous it is to read of
Don Juan's exploits in Byron.  Juan often washes up on some beach and
is rescued and seduced by foreign maidens far from home.
  Does the fault lie with our injured sense of propriety as readers of
Epic?  It's okay to laugh at Juan in the Arab court, costumed like a
servant boy, who spends his free time at the beach, seducing
princesses and their attendants; but it's another to have Heros of
Aeneas stature lapsing.  Do we expect more of them?  Each time I've
read Aeneid, I've held Dido responsible for martyring herself to her
selfish infatuation for the hero, who is only passing through.  Your
comments alerted me that I should re-examine him.  Was I too rough on
Dido?  not rough enough on him for stopping long enough to grab a
piece of tail before shoving off for Rome?
Sorry to have blabbed so long and randomly and thanks for listening.

---Oliver P Metzger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>     It has often struck me that Aeneas's responses to the appeals
made to him by the participants in the games of Book V are very
interesting.
>     When Salius appeals to Aeneas to correct Nisus's cheating in the
foot race (340 ff.), Aeneas responds "no one alters the prizes' order"
(palmam movet ordine nemo) (349), and gives Salius an extra prize.  At
which point Nisus pipes up, "if you're rewarding losers, what about
me?"  Whereupon Aeneas also gives him a valuable prize (357-360).
>     Aeneas then intervenes in the boxing match and convinces one
participant to quit, saying among other things "yield to heaven!"
(cede deo).
>     Finally, in the shoot-the-bird contest (485-544), when the first
contestant misses the bird narrowly, the second severs its bonds, the
third hits it as it seeks to escape, and the fourth, in frustration,
shoots his shaft into the sky only to see it consumed by flames,
Aeneas proclaims the fourth man the victor and heaps rewards on him.
>     In each of these cases, Aeneas avoids ranking people according
to merit.  Indeed, merit and skill appear unrelated to success--the
best boxer wins, but the best archer does not (and it is interesting
to note that the recovering the wrecked boat takes much "skill"
(270)). The contestants look to Aeneas to adjudicate a dispute, but he
does not accept this responsibility.  Instead, he buys off everyone
involved;  he makes them focus on something else, so that their
dispute seems unimportant.
>     Do Aeneas's comment strike you as having an edge of cynicism, or
bitterness perhaps?  They come almost immediately after Aeneas has had
to sacrifice the love of his life for the "rewards" of leadership etc.
 Aeneas himself has just "yielded to heaven" and cannot be very happy
about it.  When he makes these comments he is on Sicily, and therefore
has literally left behind what he loved, yet has not reached his
promised goals.  When he proclaims "no one alters the prizes' order" I
imagine a bitter look skyward--the moment that a spirit is broken.  Is
he saying to these people, "only fools expect justice in this
life--look for rewards" or at least "you may or may not get justice in
this life, but you can compensate by getting rewards"?  In any event,
Virgil is certainly not creating a hero that will be known for his
wisdom and ability to judge.

<HR>
<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1
http-equiv=Content-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2>    It has often struck me that Aeneas's
of Book V
are very interesting.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>    When Salius appeals to Aeneas to correct
Nisus's cheating in the foot race (340 ff.), Aeneas responds "no one
alters
the prizes' order" (palmam movet ordine nemo) (349), and gives Salius
an
extra prize.  At which point Nisus pipes up, "if you're rewarding
losers, what about me?"  Whereupon Aeneas also gives him a valuable
prize (357-360).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>    Aeneas then intervenes in the boxing match
and convinces one participant to quit, saying among other things
"yield to
heaven!" (cede deo).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>    Finally, in the shoot-the-bird contest
(485-544), when the first contestant misses the bird narrowly, the
second severs
its bonds, the third hits it as it seeks to escape, and the fourth, in
frustration, shoots his shaft into the sky only to see it consumed by
flames,
Aeneas proclaims the <U>fourth</U> man the victor and heaps rewards on
him.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>    In each of these cases,
Aeneas avoids ranking people according to merit.  Indeed, merit and
skill
appear unrelated to success--the best boxer wins, but the best archer
does not
(and it is interesting to note that the recovering the wrecked boat
takes much
"skill" (270)). The contestants look to Aeneas to adjudicate a
dispute, but he does not accept this responsibility.  Instead, he buys
off
everyone involved;  he makes them focus on something else, so that
their
dispute seems unimportant.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>    Do Aeneas's comment strike
you as having an edge of cynicism, or bitterness perhaps?<FONT size=2>
They come</FONT> almost immediately after Aeneas has had to sacrifice
the love
of his life for the "rewards" of leadership etc.  Aeneas himself
has just "yielded to heaven" and cannot be very happy about it.
When he makes these comments he is on Sicily, and therefore has
literally left
behind what he loved, yet has not reached his promised goals.  When he
proclaims "no one alters the prizes' order" I imagine a bitter look
skyward--the moment that a spirit is broken.  Is he saying to these
people,
"only fools expect justice in this life--look for <U>rewards</U>" or
at least "you may or may not get justice in this life, but you can
compensate by getting rewards"?  In any event, Virgil is certainly not
creating a hero that will be known for his wisdom and ability to
judge.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>
<DIV><FONT size=2>  </FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>