Dear Simon and all,
        I thought that was a good introduction to the problem - mind you
I'm an Anglo-Saxonist, not a Vergil scholar.
        It doe bring up something that has been bothering me for the last
few months, having read Horsfall's hatchet job on the lives, what does the
group believe  is fact in the Suetonius/Donatus lives - and I suppose
Leofranc is the best informed on this point - is there any possibility that
autograph manuscripts of Vergil, or at least drafts copied under his
supervision, survived his editors?
        Helen Conrad-O'Briain