>Doesn't completely answer the question, but 1184 was the date reckoned
>by the third-century Alexandrian scholar, Eratosthenes, for the fall of
>Troy. Add on Aeneas' wanderings and we should be somewhere closer to
>1180.

This is good. Now, do we have enough time indications in Virgil's text to
say how long it took Aeneas to reach Italy? I can think of two:

- at Aen. 3.284, Aeneas tells Dido that it was a year before he met Helenus
and Andromache at Chaonia. After he left them, he sailed to Sicily, where
his father died.

- at Aen. 5.46-47, Aeneas tells his comrades that he thinks it has been a
year to the day since they buried his father. After the funeral games, they
sail up the coast to Cumae.

So depending on how long it took the Trojans to get from Chaonia to Sicily,
it sounds like it took about two years. But perhaps I'm missing something.