Nice to be reminded.   I had a drink in the poet's honour.  May I draw
attention to an interesting attempt to commemorate V which is found in
Norman Davies' 'Europe'?   ND comments that V's verses 'sing in inimitable
tone, serene, sustained, subtle, sad' and supports this judgement by
quoting the following disconnected line five lines:
felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas

sed fugit interea, fugit inreparabile tempus

omnia vincit amor, et nos cedamus amori

et penitus toto divisos orbe Britannos

sunt lacrimae rerum et mentem mortalia tangunt.

I would say that, if one was to convey V's tone in this way, the choice of
one-liners is very good.   But I think that 'sunt lacrimae' is
rather seriously misrepresented by its lack of context and that if I had
to choose a few lines I would include one of a lighter tone, like
'formosam resonare doces Amaryllida silvas'.  The one-liner method almost
by definition fails to convey the 'sustained' nature of V's cadences and
of his thought.  Still, a really praiseworthy attempt to raise interest in
V among general readers. - Martin Hughes