Let me add a footnote to Leofranc Holford-Strevens's interesting post about
Vitruvius. The English phrase we started with ('the famous quote "Firmness,

Commodity, Delight"') sounded like early modern English, and I thought I'd
try to track down its English source. This is what I found at
<http://acnet.pratt.edu/~arch543p/help/architecture.html>:

"A good definition [of architecture] was provided by the Roman architect
Vitruvius in the 1st century AD and was translated from the Latin into
English during the 17th century by Sir Henry Wotton (1568-1639). Vitruvius
said that architecture was a building that incorporated utilitas, firmitas,
and venustas, which Wotton translated as "commodotie, firmness, and
delighte." This definition recognizes that architecture embraces
functional, technological, and aesthetic requirements: it must have
commodotie (utilitarian qualities), firmness (structural stability and
sound construction), and delighte (attractive appearance)."

I think the idea expressed by the English word "commodotie" is more
precisely that a building should be well adapted to the convenience of the
people who live or work in it.

Wotton's translation of this passage is presumably to be found in his
Elements of Architecture (1624), which I haven't seen, although it was
republished in 1968 in a facsimile reprint introduced and annotated by F.
Hard. It's curious that his rather antiquated words continue to be cited
(usually without acknowledgment to him) in any discussion of the first
principles of architecture.

The two earliest English translations of Vitruvius's entire work seem to be
those by Robert Pricke (1669) and W. Newton (1771).

Simon Cauchi
Freelance Editor and Indexer
13 Riverview Terrace, Hamilton, New Zealand
Telephone and facsimile (+64) 7-854-9229, e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]