Compare also the temple carvings in Book I, about line 450 and
following, for a retrospective visual representation in which A. sees
the images of where he came from (fall of Troy), rather than where he is
going.  For Virgil's 'pictoral verse'(that is, vivid description of a
visual artistic representation)compare Book VI, line 15 and following
(Daedalus ut fama est..), describing the temple built by
Daedalus--beautiful Latin!.

>From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sun Nov 08 18:34:35 1998
>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 21:09:30 EST
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: VIRGIL: Virgil's Aeneid and his shield
>Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>In a message dated 11/8/98 7:57:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
><< I consider the famous passages in book six when Anchises shows
Aeneas
> the future Romans to be a parrallel [sic] to the shield scene.  Here,
as with
> the shield, A. sees what will be the future of his line, but has no
real
> understanding of it.  His greatest reactions are wonder and amazement,
> but in both cases he accepts the burden of what he is shown.
>  >>
>A very solid observation. Thank you. Another rewarding bit of study is
to look
>at the prototype of the Shield of Aeneas, the Shield of Achilles at
Iliad