>Could anyone provide me with a translation of HORACE'S "Epistolae", II, 1,
>93-94;
>it is the "nugari" and "labier" that confuse me.

I haven't got the Latin to hand, but here is how Niall Rudd translates the
passage (I quote lines 90-96 of his translation, which I gather is more or
less line for line):

Suppose the Greeks had resented newness as much as we do,
what would now be old? And what would the people have
to read and thumb with enjoyment, each man to his taste?
As soon as Greece abandoned war and turned to amusements,
lapsing into frivolity as fortune smiled upon her,
she developed a feverish craze for either athletes or horses,
or fell in love with craftsmen in ivory, bronze, or marble; ...

Presumably "nugari" is rendered by "lapsing into frivolity", but I can't
guess where "labier" is translated (and can't find it in my Latin
dictionary either).

Simon Cauchi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
13 Riverview Terrace, Hamilton, New Zealand
Telephone and facsimile +647 854 9229