Salvete!

I read a suggestion that we should not believe that Virgil was a paid
court poet writing propaganda for his patron.
I'm not sure that I agree with this,  but reflecting on it has brought
several questions to my mind.

Virgil's patron provided him with the leisure to write his poetry.
Was the poet therefore showing his gratitude by writing propaganda?

Was Virgil making the most of this opportunity to write his poetry at
leisure?
Did he really desire to promote Augustus,  or was he trying to show how
ridiculous the Emperor might be?
Was the "propaganda" actually humourous?

If anyone could help to settle my confusion,  I would be very grateful.

Rebecca Smyth