Robert T. White wrote:

> The IMDB and a little leg work reveal "Aeneas" has been
> on screen 5 times
> 1927: The Private Life of Helen of Troy
> 1956: Helen of Troy
> 1961: The Trojan Horse
> 1962: The Avenger [sequel to The Trojan Horse]
> 1971: Trolius and Cressida

Thanks to Robert for his reseaches. What does IMDB stand for? It appears
to be a better resource than my Leonard Maltin.The private life of Helen
of Troy sounds fascinating.

I am not sure that there would be any Virgilian influence in "Troilus &
Cressida", since it was probably based on the mediæval Troy story. This
was developed out of late sources like "Dares Phrygius" & "Dictys
Cretensis"by Benoi^t de Sainte-Maure,Boccaccio, Chaucer & Henryson.
Cressida is not found in ancient sources and seems ultimately to be a
conflation of Chryseis & Briseis from the Iliad.

> Also, I would be skeptical that any film based on
> Dante's _Inferno_ would include Vergil as a character (viz.
> the 1935 version)

I did see an excerpt from an early silent film based on the
"Inferno"which showed Virgil & Dante gazing at Francesca da Rimini and
her lover Paolo tossed in a whirlwind(Canto V).[Incidentally this is
where Dante places Dido as well as Cleopatra & Helen.] It looked like a
tableau founded on the illustrations of Gustave Dore'. Why wouldn't
Virgil be a character? Dante has the Roman poet guide him through
Hell.(However I don't know the 1935 version that you mention.)

I am surprised that no one seems to have filmed the love story of Dido &
Æneas. Book IV is eminently dramatic. Indeed it thought to have been
influenced by Greek tragedy.Metastasio (1698-1782) wrote a very
successful opera libretto based on Virgil called "Didone abbandonata"
which was set to music by forty composers! Purcell in short & Berlioz at
length also dealt with the theme.Perhaps the Mantovani could tempt
Merchant Ivory or the BBC away from nineteenth & early twentieth century
novels, and suggest a TV series or movie based on the Æneid or just Book
IV. Books II & VI could be done with special effects by Spielberg!Would
this bring Virgil to a wider audience and encourage interest in Virgil
and Classical literature, sparking off a new renaissance or merely
vulgarise our poet & sacrifice him to the Mammon of popular "culture" ?

> (PS) Peter- how do you get that A-E ligature in
> your mail?
I am, I confess, a bit of an antiquarian in my tastes: I have to
remember to write "Facetiæ Vergilianæ"& "Vergili" (gen. sing)" instead
of "Facetiæ Virgilianæ" & "Virgilii", lest I be accused of ignorance by
highschoolers!( I did have some eirenic contributions to the great "I"
versus "E" debate in Virgil's name, but I am not sure if we want to
stoke those fires again.) In any case, I get the A-E ligature by
pressing simultaneously "option" plus "quotation mark" key (to the left
of "return") for"æ"; & "shift"+"option"+"quotation mark" for "Æ".

Peter JVD Bryant
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
7 Cobea Court
Mount Claremont