Simon Cauchi schrieb:
> Please help me to construe "tumida ex ira tum corda residunt". Does
> "tumida" agree with "ira" (ablative feminine singular) or "corda"
> (nominative neuter plural)? The English versions I have to hand that are
> closest to the Latin in their wording disagree:
>
> Phaer (1557): "than [sc. then] angry wrath his swelling hart forsooke"
>
> Lonsdale & Lee (1871): "Then from its surging wrath his heart subsides" [an
> iambic pentameter, as it happens, though it's a prose translation!]
>
> West (1990): "At this the swelling anger subsided in his heart"
>
> My preference is strongly for Phaer (because it seems to me that a heart
> can swell with anger but it doesn't make much sense to say anger itself
> swells up), but the modern translators appear to offer him no support.
> However, Butler in his 1920 commentary notes that "the metaphor is of a
> swollen sea changing to a calm" and cites Cicero's "tumor animi residit" as
> an analogue.

Yes, I'd agree: tumida is attribute to corda.

> It doesn't help that the final a of "tumida", whether long or short, is
> elided. I remember my Latin teacher at school many years ago saying that
> elided vowels were actually pronounced in reading, though not included in
> the metrical reckoning. "All sorts of things would go dreadfully wrong if
> you left the vowels out," he declared. I've never read or heard of anyone
> else saying the same thing. Was he right?

>From the sandhi-rules of old languages and from the way of melting the
vowels in Italian opera I'd hold the vowels, not elide them totally:
pronounced in reading, yes, but not in the same force, length and weight as the
"normal" syllabe-vowels behind.
"i" is reduced to a half consonant (half vowel, "y"), "u" in the same way to
"w".
It is an aesthetic difference, to read and spell Catulli carmen "odet amo"
(funny, if Odette is a French name) or "odyet amo".

I'd prefere: Synaloiphe, not elision.

grusz, hansz (Goerlitz, Germany)
http://home.t-online.de/home/03581413454/sprachen.htm