I suppose that it's hard, if you regard a book as in some way a fount of
wisdom, not be impressed or jolted if you open it at a passage which
engages with your mood, wishes or fears.  Certainly I find this.  There is
rather a good study of the matter in M.R.James' short story 'The Ash Tree'
- Sortes remind some of the characters that they are not as free as they
think they are of what they regard as superstition or paganism.  There is
reference to the Bible rather than to V or to classical literature, but
we do meet a Cambridge scholar who has edited Polyaenus' Stratagems - his
own stratagems are rather ill-advised. - Martin Hughes