Backing up a bit, the correspondent from Australia was mistaken when he said
that the first instance of Virgil as a first name in the US occurred with the
composer Virgil Thompson.  Not true.  The name has been used in the US for
generations and, Virgil Thompson notwithstanding, (dare I say it here?)
typically has rural, country bumpkin, or even "hillbilly" connotations.

Greg Farnum
Rochester Hills, Michigan