>1.  In what way does The Aeneid develop both a sense of Roman origins and a
>sense of Roman nationalism?

You need to do some reading about the historical background here; but you
should also think about what, exactly, Aeneas' destiny is (look at Book
VI especially perhaps) and the qualities Virgil attributes to Trojans and
Latins - try Book VII.

>I don't understand the Roman nationalism and the Roman origins part...
>
>2.  What does Aeneas killing of Turnus reveal about his character?
>
>I was thinking something like Aeneas was revenge-full because Turnus killed
>Pallas and Turnus was wearing Palla's belt thing and then Aeneas remembered
>his friend and that Turnus killed him...

Certainly - but what is the main epithet used to describe Aeneas throught
the epic? How does this fit in with your reading of this episode?

>3.  WHat is the conflict between desire and obligation?  WHich characters
>and situations best capture this conflict?

What does Aeneas want? - think II-IV especially - and what does he have
to do?

>4.  Compare Aeneas and Achilles (we also had to read The Iliad) What heroic
>evolution exists in the Roman epic that The Iliad lacks?

Well, look at your thoughts on question 2 and compare Achilles.

Hope this is helpful.

Caroline Butler