>A more appropriate question for the list, instead of the above, might be
>taken from the subtitle of Kopff's book. Do you think America needs the
>classical tradition? It would be interesting to read what the list has to
>say.
I expect the list will answer with a resounding YES!  I would have to
agree. Aside from the wealth of literature and art  which a study of
antiquity offers, isn't it also practical for the average American (or
Canadian in my case) to know where institutions such as 'democracy'
sprang from?  Perhaps even useful to know the etymology of such words?

Unfortunately, it seems that in our postmodern, politically correct world
the classical tradition is not very fashionable--has it not, in fact,
been demonized to a certain extent?

My question then, is what do Classicists do about this? Do they sit in
their ivory towers collecting cobwebs, arguing about the vocative of
'ego'? In other words, do we sit back and let ourselves become obscure
relics? Or do we go out and promote the value of  a "Classical"
education? (and of course, the next question is, how does one do that?)

Theresa Fuller