<< message forwarded by listowner>>

From: "Timothy Mallon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 08:45:25 PDT

I can't think of what need a liberalistic, capitalist society like the U.S.
could get even from Athenian democracy. One could argue, with Nietzsche,
that to study Classics is to think against the age, not to find some
justification for it in the past. Maybe the only good reason to study the
Classics is for their own sake, not for some supposed relevance to the
present. Indeed, any study which is granted worth on relevance will someday
again be denied it on grounds of irrelevance.

One would better make the argument that education in the humanities is
valuable simply for encouraging ... humanity. That has nothing to do with
any particular politico-economic regime.

As for the supposed guilt of postmodernism, I think that is overstated. At
any rate, I think it is possible for one and the same person to have a real
love of _Gravity's Rainbow_ *and* the works of Virgil.