<< message forwarded by listowner >>

From: "Ika Willis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I am currently researching a paper on gender issues in the
Georgics, looking especially at the 'laus ruris' in book 2 where the
farmer has a disconcertingly disembodied wife (referred to as
'domus'/'home' rather than 'woman'/'wife'/etc) and at the Aristaeus-
Orpheus epyllion where women suddenly come from all over the
place to control the narrative - they rewrite myth (the nymph
singing about Venus' *successful* affair with Mars) and it is
Aristaeus' mother who sets everything in motion.

This can perhaps be linked with ideas about the tension between
Vergil's praise of the rural life v. his actual practice as an (urban? -
certainly involved in city politics) poet, or ideas about the
repression of 'the Greek' (and linked concepts - art, effeminacy etc)
in the ideal hard-Roman life praised in the Georgics...

This is all extremely simplistic, obviously. But if anyone can
recommend any reading for me, or has any comments or
suggestions about the issue, please get in touch.

Cheers!