I am somewhat hampered by having never read 'Scoop' - but certainly it is
interesting that the child is translating the second eclogue which gave
centuries of school masters moral dilemmas because of the subject matter (I
note her remark: 'but I couldn't quite make sense of that bit ').  I have
found again and again references to this pedagogical problem - I believe it
was Erasmus who suggested that the best wat to get through it was to really
hit grammar hard and in its minutiae when reading the second eclogue.
Helen COB