Many thanks to Leofranc Holford-Strevens, Helen Conrad, and David
Wilson-Okamura for their helpful responses to my _Scoop_ inquiry.  (The
list--digestion can be slow when list traffic is low.)  I think Helen Conrad's
observation may go a long way in explaining why Waugh selected this passage:
this novel, like much of Waugh's work, comments humorously and sometimes
bitterly on what he perceived as the depravity of British society, so it is
telling that he has the daughter of one of London's leading families reading
through this work largely on her own.  When the girl gets stuck on this
passage, her mother rushes off saying "We'll do it tomorrow.  I've got to go
now," and Josephine later confesses to finding Virgil "banal."  Combined with
several other things going on simultaneously in this scene, it is a typical
instance of Waugh's slapstick satire.  Once again, thanks for the assistance.

David Adams
[EMAIL PROTECTED]