There is an article by Susanna Morton Braund in the Proceedings of the
Virgil Society for 1998 about the good old question of Dido and Aeneas
and their conflicting states of mind.  I certainly find the depiction of
their emotions successful and convincing.  You ask for thoughts: my
thought would be to start from the point where the two are at the same
emotional point, ie in the (Platonic?) Cave.  Dido rationalises the
emotion of that moment - it was the beginning of a legitimate, long-term
relationship from which children (328) will spring.  V is clear that this
is an attempt to rationalise behaviour which is irresponsible - a culpa
(172).  The irresponsibility is on the political level - V presents Dido
as unable to carry her people with her into alliance with the Trojans
(321).  I would say that it was part of the realistic study of emotion
that one should think of how the person reflects on, perhaps rationalises,
their emotions.  The need to think about emotions is as inherent in human
life as the need to experience them.  Aeneas' experience is presented in
terms of divine intervention, but in V divine intervention can always be
explained - at least approximately! - in naturalistic terms.  (V all but
comments on this feature of his narrative at IX, 185.  To me it seems
theologically correct (I don't know if James Wiersum would agree) that
revelation must always be somewhat ambivalent, partly a New Word from on
high, partly something which is a logical extension of our existing
convictions and passions.)  Aeneas too, as is proved by Mercury's bitterly
sarcastic 'uxorius!' has been thinking in the same terms as Dido (266):
this is really a marriage.  The collapse of this rationalisation in his
mind is so horrible to him that it feels like (perhaps is) an invasion by
a higher force.  He sees the political impossibility of what he is trying
to do - after all, the Trojans will cheer mightily (577) when they leave
Carthage.  I think that there is something very realistic about the
feeling, on the part of one whose illusions about a relationship have
collapsed, that the only decent thing to do is leave.  That is what a
person in that position would think, even though the decency of the action
is so questionable, perhaps just another illusion.  There is a more
favourable reworking of the Dido/Aeneas story at a much lower (still quite
good) level of literature in Terence Rattigan's 'Deep Blue Sea', another
study of postwar moral disruption.  In that story the man somehow sees,
rather inarticulately, that he has to leave a relationship in which the
woman expected him to be something that socially he could not be. In this
case he is right and the woman regains her hold on life. - Martin Hughes