E.L.Harrison's essay 'Why did Venus wear boots?' (now reprinted in
Hardi's 'Virgil: Critical Assessments' volume IV) analyses Venus' role as
follows.  She is disguised in order to conceal herself from other divine
eyes: within her own order of being, she is acting as a spy in hostile
territory.  She appears as a huntress in order to initiate a series of
events marked by hunting and wounding (often with erotic overtones)
culminating in Dido's death.  She abandons her disguise, causing Aeneas
distress as he sees that he has been deceived, in order to increase his
sense of loneliness and to make him vulnerable to Dido.  She wears boots
because boots symbolise tragedy, especially the role of a god setting a
tragedy in motion. These points give us, I think, some insight into
motivation.  Taking them in reverse order - Venus this time has a plan
which she now initiates and will see through.  She knows that she has to
operate with a care and guile which she never managed at Troy: she has to
find inner resources to match those of Juno.  She needs to make Aeneas
understand that he is in a place where she cannot directly protect him:
despite what he thinks, this is in a way the act of a loving mother.  She
intends and needs to reverse, as devastatingly as possible, the
humiliation inflicted on her when she was wounded by Diomedes at Troy.
Finally and most importantly she understands that this is the cardo rerum,
the hinge of fate, as she says in l.672.  If Rome is to be born, Carthage
has to be set on the road to destruction: Rome is destined to rule the
other cities; Carthage stands for the Junonian ideology of independent
cities linked by a common morality and religion and Dido is the most
attractive exponent of that ideology.  So Dido, beause of her virtues not
her faults, has to go. The friendly relationship between the two cities
which seems like such a sensible idea to Ilioneus is quite unacceptable to
Venus and she has to put a stop to it. It's all personal and it's all
political: very understandable, very sympathetic, utterly terrifying. -
Martin Hughes