<< message forwarded by listowner, David Wilson-Okamura >>

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 08:58:40 -0400
From: "Jim O'Hara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Patrick Roper is doubly right here, first in observing that it might
well have been that Vergil wanted the Aeneid destroyed because he wasn't
satisfied with it, and second in asking the crucial question "do we know
this is what Virgil thought?"  The answer is "no," there is no evidence
about this, so one person's conjecture is as good as another's.  For
novelist's Hermann Broch's idea, that the dying Vergil wanted to keep
the manuscript out of the hands of Augustus (also pure conjecture), see
now Thomas, Virgil and the Augustan Reception, pp. 53-54.

There is so much bad biographical information about Vergil that is taken
to be fact, much of it based on ancient guess or specualtion, that it's
important that we always label modern specualtion correctly

--
Jim O'Hara
Paddison Professor of Latin