This may be a bit late - also I'm  not able to check whether anyone else
has replied, so I apologise for any repetition.

A quick glance at my trusty Lewis and Short Latin dictionary tells me that
'anthrax', the Greek word for 'coal' was not the name of any specific
disease in classical Latin, though it was used for large sores or
carbuncles - also for dark red minerals.

The Cattle Plague of Noricum, the Alpine area of Northern Italy, which is
described at the end of Georgics III, is often taken to be anthrax.  I
think V generally tries to get his scientific facts right, but he is
always more interested in making moral and religious rather than
scientific points.  His description:
1. The disease was baffling from the point of view of medical theory,
since it seemed to combine 'fiery' and 'watery' symptoms in rapid
succession, ie high fever and softening of the internal organs.  We learn
that distinguished scientists had tried to tackle the disease but with no
success, theoretical or practical.
2. The organs then become a dense, sticky mass.  When taken from
sacrificial animals and placed on the altar fire, they fail to flair up.
Prophecy is impossible, and general religious use of animals ceases.
3. Blood flows sluggishly from wounds.
4. Other animals beside cattle are affected.  They sweat massively and
their skins become dry and hard.  Some die at this point.
5. Others continue with high fever and breathing difficulties.  Their
tongues swell and they cannot drink.  Efforts at tube-feeding succeed only
temporarily.
6. Convulsions occur and the animals bite themselves.  They then die.
7. Cattle then succumb.  The onset is often very sudden.
8. Predators avoid the stricken flocks and herds.
9. In coastal areas, there is an increase in sea-animals washed ashore.
Seals seem to leave the sea for the rivers.
10. Birds fall to the ground, affected by noxious vapours.
11. Touching the skins of dead animals produces severe, possibly fatal,
fevers in human beings.
Some of this seems to represent gossip and panic.  Still, the picture of
simultaneous invasion of earth, sea and sky is very powerful.

All the four books of the Georgics end with some reference to the death,
usually sacrificial, of cattle.  In Book I disturbing physical symptoms in
sacrificial animals, sinister streaks or filaments, are mentioned.  This
is only an incidental detail in the main theme of the end of Book I, the
human sacrifice of civil war.  The disturbing analogies between animal and
human sacrifice are pursued throughout the poem. Disease and political
conflict are made to seem, even before biological warfare had brought them
together, to be aspects of the same malevolent force, which we seek to
overcome by finding a form of prayer and sacrifice that will work.  The
poem ends with an exotic story in which science and religion combine to
defeat disease and death.  Whether V really believed in this possibility
is very much open to debate! - Martin Hughes