Yes, Euander's speech de originibus Latii.
This part has also some of the rare and heavy sounding spondiacus-lines: 8,341
and (so near!) 345 - unbreakable old names at the end of those lines.

Some antiquity, maybe Ennius or some ritual texts of old Latium: alliterations
(typical for ritual texts, of course for Ennius also) in its gravity and the
god's names at the end of the speech make it sound like a prayer.

"Ennius"-like alliteration-verses: 8,317 f; 325; 326; 333; 334 (and some more).

Are there or somewhere else (in the "rest" of the epos) any lines with only
three words?
In the great Parcival-epos of Wolfram von Eschenbach there are two lines with
only ONE word, singing the melody of the name of the Parzival's love:
"Condwīrāmūrs" (copound of two words: Condwīr-āmūrs)
in book 4, chapter 187, verse 21 and again in book 6, chapter 283, verse 7
(in both cases with the following rhyme "... beā cūrs", beau-corps, beautiful
body). The four syllabes of the name-melody have the four accents of the
four-accent-line of this epic verse (what of course is impossible in a daktylic
hexameter).

grusz, hansz

David Wilson-Okamura schrieb:
> << message forwarded by listowner, David Wilson-Okamura >>
>
> From: "Tim Saunders" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 21:48:29 +0000
>
> I have been re-reading Aeneid 8.306-341 and was struck by the 6
> instances of 5-word hexameters contained within this passage alone.
> Seeing that I could not entirely pin down quite why these instances
> seemed significant to me, I wondered whether anyone on the list had any
> thoughts on the significance (or otherwise) of the number of words that
> appear in any one line of Virgil?
>
> I THINK my attention to the 5-word hexameters in this passage was
> probably spurred by a dim recollection of Eclogue 2.24:
>
> AMPHION DIRCAEUS IN ACTAEO ARACYNTHO
>
> Clausen declares this to be "a verse of the most precious Alexandrian
> sort." By this is he pointing solely to the learned allusions and the
> distintive rhythm of "Actaeo Aracyntho" - or do the number of words in
> the line have any part to play in this assessment?
>
> There is another notable line in the Eclogues (5.73):
>
> SALTANTIS SATYROS IMITABITUR ALPHESIBOEUS.
>
> Clausen remarks on this line that 4 word hexameters are rare in Virgil (he
> cites 7 other examples). So I suppose the more general question becomes:
> when does the number of words in a line become significant?
>

> Anyway, back to 5-word hexameters and the particular passage I had in mind,
> Aeneid 8.306-341. I can see that a line with 5 words in it can attain a
> certain symmetry (esp. in a "Golden Line"). As for instance in:
>
> 8.334: FORTUNA OMNIPOTENS ET INELUCTABILE FATUM
>
> and (esp if we read the variant "Romano" rather than "Romani")
>
> 8.338: ET CARMENTALEM ROMANO NOMINE PORTAM
>
> and 8.341: AENEADAS MAGNOS ET NOBILE PALLANTEUM
>
> But is there any greater significance than the patterning of words here?
> And how about the other examples that do not display so obvious an ordering:
>
> 8.309: INGREDIENS UARIOQUE UIAM SERMONE LEUABAT.
>
> 8.312: EXQUIRITQUE AUDITQUE UIRUM MONIMENTA PRIORUM.
>
> 8.322: COMPOSUIT LEGESQUE DEDIT, LATIUMQUE UOCARI.
>

> I have to admit that my access to the usual reference books is rather
> limited at the moment, so I must apologise if some of these questions could
> readily be answered elsewhere. However, if this query sets off a more
> general discussion about Virgil's use of metre then it would have been worth
> it for that alone.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Tim Saunders

Hans Zimmermann
http://home.t-online.de/home/hanumans/hansz.htm
Latein/Griechisch und Ethik/Philosophie auf dem Sächsischen Schulserver
http://marvin.sn.schule.de/~latein/index.html