I'd like to thank P. Roper and H. Conrad-O'Briain
for their observations about twelfth century schooling
and Curtius' masterpiece (not mentioned so far) respectively.
With regard to the school, I have to recall an old, maybe old-fashioned
but always charming remark by Ludwig Traube: VIII and IX century were
the 'aetas Virgiliana', a period who saw Virgil as the only one classical
author
studied in the Carolingian schools (with Christian poets as Aratore,
Prospero, Prudenzio...).
About XII century, but not only, we must not forget the extraordinary
Virgil's influence on epic poetry:
you have only to think of  the 'Alexandreis' of Gautier de Chatillon and of
many other works that have been studied
especially by P. G. Schmidt.

Another excellent contribution is 'Lecture médiévales de Virgile' published
in Rome by
the Ecole Française in 1985, and just now remember I another outstanding
volume:
C. Baswell, Virgil in medieval England, Cambridge, University Press, 1995.

Isn't it interesting that Virgil was well known even in early Irish and
Anglo-Saxon culture,
even by Aldhelm of Malmesbury and Bede?

dr. F. Bognini
PhD University of Venice [EMAIL PROTECTED]