At 08:17 PM 4/27/02 +0100, Leofranc Holford-Strevens wrote:
>                 (Suppose for instance that the wink theory could
>somehow be made to stand up, why should Vergil wish to play that game?)

This is a fair question. There are, it seems to me, two reasons to argue
for the wink theory:

1. You don't like the alternate, empire-as-nightmare theory but "falsa
insomnia" sounds sinister so you find a benign way of reading it.

2. You know that Virgil's contemporaries sometimes resorted to allegory in
order to rationalize the objectionable bits in Homer: not just the
immorality of the gods, but the marvellous in general. You think that
Virgil was trying to write a poem in the Homeric mode, and in this period
that means allegory. For examples, see the first chapter of Michael Murrin,
Allegorical Epic (Chicago, 1980).