> >If I ran across the name (?) inscription (?)
> >
> >"REQUITUR"
>
> Nothing, not even 'it is once more possible', unless perhaps you are in
> the hands of a creative mediaeval writer.
>

> >what, if anything, might it signify?
> >
> >Declined from "requiro?"
>
> No: unless it is 'requiritur' written abbreviatedly in a manuscript as
> reqtur with an i over the q. Where did you find it?

For example this in William of Ockham, Dialogus, pars 1, lib. 7, cap. 34-38:

"Et sicut non requitur tanta deliberatio ad simplicem loquelam, sicut ad
iuramentum (quia saepe est loquendum et raro iurandum) ita non requiritur
tanta deliberatio, cum quis publice docet et praedicat: sicut cum Papa
aliquid tanquam catholicum diffinit solenniter."

In a legal sense I found this: "Suffice it to say that such arguments are
clearly non-requitur, and that denial is inherently a weak defense which
cannot prevail over positive identifications."

See:

http://www.lawphil.net/judjuris/juri1996/nov1996/gr_103134_1996.html

Patrick Roper