Hieronymus Prechtl wrote:
Read somewhere -- can't find it now -- what TS Eliot said
about the Aeneid.  I think he called it the classic of classics.
Does anyone know where I might find this?

Gratias vobis ago.

Ambrosius

"What is a Classic?" in _On Poetry and Poets_ (1957), pp. 52-74. (Originally the 1944 Presidential Address to the Virgil Society; published separately by Faber & Faber in 1945.)

From the peroration: "No modern language can hope to produce a classic, in the sense in which I have called Virgil a classic. Our classic, the classic of all Europe, is Virgil."

JMP("Palaemon")