In Georgics IV, 478/9, Virgil writes "deformis harundo/Cocyti".  This has
been translated "unsightly reeds of Cocytus".

I wonder if it would be possible to interpret this as "deformed reeds of
Cocytus".

Why I ask is that there are insects, flies of the genus 'Lipara', which make
large, cigar-shaped galls in the stems of reeds (Phragmites) thereby
deforming them.  Virgil, with his understanding of the countryside would, I
am sure, have been aware of these galls and, I suppose, they might have been
ill-regarded in the sense that they tended to spoil the reeds for other
purposes such as thatching.

If 'deformis' can only mean 'unsightly' or similar,I wonder why Virgil
should consider reeds 'unsightly'.  Most people seem to think they are
attractive plants and they are of some benefit to people in stabilising
marshes and so forth.

I should be interested in subscribers' views on this.

Patrick Roper