LH-S puts us on the right track, I think, with Erictho. I hope to get back to it later in the week. In the meantime, here is something I found this morning: an online text of D. Comparetti's "Virgil in the Middle Ages" (1872; rev. 1895). There are errors of fact and judgement, but as a survey it has yet to be replaced. (Cf. Epic and Romance by W. P. Ker.)

The original was in Italian and so is this: http://www.classicitaliani.it/index178.htm