The software that runs Mantovano is old and far from bullet-proof. A
possible solution is to move the list to a free mailing list service
such as Google Groups. This would simplify my job, certainly!

The main disadvantage is that everyone who wants to continue receiving
messages would need to register with Google Groups. It's easy (and
free), but it is an additional step. Right now, it's extremely easy to
join the discussion -- and also easy to send spam. I do what I can
behind the scenes, but some kinds of spam I can't intercept.

What are your thoughts?