ok, I have changed #740 to critical, I didn't intend to flag this
as a blocker for the release of 2.2, just flagging it as a blocker
to using the feature.

+1 everything Trevor writes

The following companies have donated funds towards getting
the GDAL raster provider into a usable state.

OTX Systems
Pacific Alliance Technologies
Explore Australia
Ennoble Consultancy
Spatial Integrators

http://www.otxsystems.com/community-initiatives/gdal-provider-initiative.html

As a result we now have a stable provider, now if a few more companies
who use MGOS a commerical environment **voted** with some additional
sponsorship, we could easily achieve what everyone desires, fully working
raster support out of the box

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 8:04 AM, Trevor Wekel
<trevor_we...@otxsystems.com> wrote:

> I agree with Martin.  Although this defect is important, it should not hold
> back the 2.2 release.
>
> Once 2.2.0 is out the door, we should start identifying defects/enhancements
> for 2.2.1.  Our patch releases are virtually non-existent.  Ideally, I would
> like to see patch releases sent out every four months with major releases on
> a yearly basis.  For example, PHP and Apache typically release three patch
> builds every year.  We should be able to do the same with community support.
>
> The most straightforward way to get a defect fixed or an enhancement
> implemented is to contract a project developer to do the work.  For example,
> I would enjoy fixing and enhancing the FDO GDAL Raster Provider if funding
> was available.
>
> Long term support for build infrastructure and build automation would also
> reduce the effort required for project developers to get fixes and
> enhancements into the hands of the community.  General availability of
> nightly or weekly builds for all supported platforms is important.  It would
> enable any and all project developers to simply say:
>
> "Download build 2.2.0.6001 from ...  It contains the defect/enhancement you
> were looking for"
>

> Voting on a "new feature list" would be an excellent idea if the MapGuide
> Open Source Project had spare resources available to implement the "new
> feature list".  Unfortunately, there is insufficient donation/sponsorship
> funding to retain a developer to work on "the list".
>

> Regards,
> Trevor

Zac Spitzer
Solution Architect / Director