For making a circle handler, just copy the Rectangle handler (which uses a Regular Polygon handler) and increase the number of sides to something like 40. For the selections, register a Fusion.Event.MAP_SELECTION_ON event listener on the map object and then you can use the map.getSelection() method passing in a callback function that you can use to process the results.

Mike